Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Time Goes By - Too Fast

My babies are getting big. These were taken a few years ago. Selene's was taken in 2008, but the boys - I believe that was 2007. I can't be sure, but they looks so much younger. Clay, the second one is over 6 feet tall now and Wes is in preschool. Selene outgrew that sweater dress by spring that year.
I tend to not notice things as they are happening around me. I am always living in the near future, somewhere between what we are having for dinner tomorrow night and what I am going to do for the next birthday party.

It's difficult to remain present, at least for me, and I've been told by many people that they live like this too. The now is so precious, it it literally all that we have. The past is gone and there is nothing we can do to change any of it, so it isn't worth dwelling on it. The future is just a thought of what might be, and actually what we could do to create a better future is to live fully in the present.
For me, I don't even know how to begin living in the present and being fully involved with what is going on in the moment. I have made such a habit of spacing out and thinking three days - eighty years in the future.
This is my promise to myself, to live in the moment, and just notice. I don't want to miss these years with my children and I don't want to miss these years with myself. I will just make an effort to be more engaged and get my head out of the 'I should' and 'I wish I would have' state of mind.




2 comments:

  1. Great post, I find it difficult not to always be thinking ahead and have promised myself to be more 'in the moment'... after all.. we never get that moment back! You have beautiful kids :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the ideal, but for me very hard to realize because I learned that life is easier when you plan it. And at the same time I want to do your way. At least I never say 'I wish I would have'. That's a phrase I hate. Just do your things and don't regret. Sometimes it's wrong, but no regrets.

    ReplyDelete