Sunday, March 14, 2010

A 25 Minute Painting

I am reading a book called "60 Minutes to Better Painting". There are many good suggestions in the book for creating simple paintings in one hour or less and how this really improves your overall painting skills. One of the things that I really struggle with is "over painting". I keep working on paintings forever, far after they look done. I do this because I am a perfectionist, but it can really ruin a painting.

I wanted to create something from a unique perspective - this piece was my attempt at someone looking up to the top of a tree - kind of into the sky.

I have to let go of "pretty". I have to be OK with my mistakes when I do these. I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a perfect painting that can be done in under an hour. So, these are going to be strictly teaching exercises. However, the pieces will be for sale on my etsy shop, dirt cheap.

1 comment:

  1. You did that in 25 minutes?? It would have taken my 25 days, not really I could never have done that.
    I love it.
    Okay so let me know how you are getting over "pretty" and how you are doing with "mistakes" those are two areas I need to work on too. And maybe I can add a little "perfectionism" too.

    ReplyDelete