Saturday, March 6, 2010

Organizing



I think that this is a question that I have been asking myself a lot lately. I'm not sure if it is because I am getting older (just had a birthday) or if it is because spring is coming and is reminding me of cleaning, but I feel the need to organize my space and time and make my house pretty. I guess it is time to grow up - and live more like an adult.

I like a beautiful environment and one of my goals for the next year is to simplify my life. I think that these two things blend very nicely together. A simple and beautiful (and clean) home FEELS so nice.

Right now, my home is a mess. If you walked in, you might say that it is very clean, and sure, it looks really neat and clean, but hidden in closets and in the dreaded basement there are so many things that are broken and not used and maybe never will be used again. I would say a good 80% of my home is unused and unwanted crap.


So - first step, to get rid of the broken stuff and donate the unwanted stuff. It is simple in theory - but overwhelming in reality. I think that a yard sale is in my near future. I did a little bit of research and came across some great articles and products.

To organize my time, one of the things that I need to do, is to use my planner more effectively.
After reading a little on how to do this, it seems like the key to using a planner really is super simple - write everything in one planner, carry it with you everywhere and look in it every morning to see what is planned that day. I have started getting into the habit of writing my to-do list before bed for the following day. I make sure that I put a star next to the most important things and I get them done first. If I didn't have my planner - my life would fall apart pretty quickly. I heard somewhere that another great way to really be productive is to do the worst first. Picking that thing that you dread and getting it done ASAP - before anything else. This way it is finished - you don't have to dread it your entire day.

Another reason why a planner helps me is because when I write it down, for some reason I just feel better about it. I don't worry as much about it, and I can relax a little now that I know that it is in my planner. I don't have to try to remember it.

I also have a tendency to not know where to start, or what to do next. My to-do list is in my planner and I follow it and I never have to think of what to do next. I also like the feeling of crossing off the things I wrote - makes me feel like I am accomplishing something.

Some great planners are sold through Franklin Covey.

I also just finished a book called Organizing from the Inside Out (highly reccommend) by Julie Morgenstern about organizing your space. I got a lot of great tips from her book, but what I think will help me the most is finding a place for everything and keeping everything in it's place. She says that if it is difficult to access your stuff with your organizational system, you will not maintain it, so I think that everything in it's place - but think simple and easy.

Another book by her that I really want to read is Shed Your Stuff Change Your Life. It looks like it can help you to do this in four steps, sounds like something I need right now.

A big clue for me that I needed to get organized is that I loose everything. If everything has a place - it won't be lost - it will be in it's place, and after it is used - it will be returned to it's place.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book tips - headed to check them out right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously it's a bit creepy how similar we are! lol Thanks for the book lead.

    ReplyDelete