Thursday, March 25, 2010

An Ugly Still Life - an Awesome Lesson

OK - I was talking to a friend about taking art and we were talking about drawing and painting from life. I told her I've never painted from life. I decided I needed to paint from life.
I got my fake flowers and a lamp to be my fake sun and sat down to paint.

I wanted a light blue wall behind the flowers to really make them stand out.

I started with the vase - no roughsketching or mapping it out - I just started.

I like how the orange really contrasts with the blue - it really pops out. I wasn't afraid to lay the paint on thick. I don't know what it is lately, but I am liking the thick paint. It feels almost like I am sculpting with paint.



Ooops - I skipped a few steps here.



Added the last details - the shadow and little highlights.





Here is is - my first ever painting from real life - not very pretty - but I learned a lot. I have to tell you that it was a challenge. I am not sure why painting from a photo is so much easier, but it certainly is. Even so - it was a great study - and I will be doing more in the future.


5 comments:

  1. I love the step by step pictures. It kind of makes it look like you picked watercolor flowers and placed them in a watercolor vase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so enlightening to do something new and different. Even more when it lays in line with what you're doing in your life and opens up something so new just as a little diversion from what and how you currently do something.

    I think they turned out lovely and I enjoyed the vase and shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great, you are an excellent artist!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys :) It was fun - and more challenging than I thought. I needed to do it.

    ReplyDelete