Sunday, September 19, 2010

Paintings of the Day

The following paintings are "Paintings of the Day" for the last 4 days. Each time I do a painting of the day, I try to choose something that I want to learn and create a painting based on that.

I wanted to learn a little more about texture, using a pallette knife to paint - and what would happen if I held the brush toward the end, instead of holding so tightly to the tip near the brush. It gave me less control, and created looser more random strokes - perfect for this painting.




I wanted to learn a little more about different ways of blending and combining unexpected colors. I like the results.







This painting was a very short lesson in perspective and creating peaks of texture.



In this little ACEO I got a little practice with the line brush. I really challenged myself to work very quickly. I tend to over work everything and with this painting I only allowed myself 40 minutes to get it done, so there was no chance to do that. The other great thing about this painting is that the layers were put on in very obvious steps. I try to work this way - it makes it easier, but I usually end up skipping steps.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks Melody. Love your little avitar :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are amazing...I really love that second one, of the sunflower. You're really talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, beautiful work, Do you paint animal portraits???

    I discovered your blog in the Etsy forum. When you get a free moment check out my blog http://Finewoodcrafts.blogspot.com please signup for my newsletter to hear about my latest and greatest creations.

    Have a great day,
    Jon
    http://Jonpsu77.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jon! Thanks :) Yes I do animal portraits. I will definitely check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, my favorite is the second one- (coneflower?) I love the background treatment.
    Sheryl
    http://mermaidspalette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you're really skilled! I wish I could paint like that. I think the first and the second oe are my favorites. I'm following :)
    http://roseberrystyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous paintings! Great use of color and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ‎2010 Biggest Online Gems & Jewelry Store presenting the exotic & vibrant collection of Necklaces, Rings, Bracelets, Earrings etc. For exciting and mind blowing offers visit our unique store: http://www.jewelsite.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful! I really love the flower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are lovely! Good luck with your daily challenge! I'll be rooting for your success and watching along the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The paintings are gorgeous.

    www.geekettegazette.com
    www.thegirlieblog.com

    ReplyDelete